Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Preparing for Africa

Here I am --- Tuesday night, September 17th, preparing for a trip I'll not soon forget.  Evan, Jamie and I are preparing to leave Saturday AM for a 16 day adventure to Africa.  After 18 months of talking about it, we are finally going to hike Mt. Kilimanjaro.  5,300 feet to 19,300 feet - 5 days up, 2 down.

I'm not sure what sort of Internet access I'll have so I'm going to call Katie on a regular basis.  Hopefully she do the blog updates.  I have 5 spare batteries for my Sat phone so hopefully it will last the entire time.  I'll most likely not be able to send pictures until our return (at least until we're off the mountain).  Anyone wishing to track our progress can do HERE:

Itinerary:

Saturday 21: Depart for JFK
Sunday 22: Depart for Tanzania
Monday 23: Arrive Tanzania
Tuesday 24: Rest
Wednesday 25: Start the hike - Machame Route - http://www.ultimatekilimanjaro.com/machame_route.htm
Thursday 26: Keep hiking up
Friday 27: Keep going up
Saturday 28: Keep going up
Sunday 29: Keep going up (give a pep talk to Evan and Jamie, they will be exhausted)
Monday 30: Summit - (Evan's Birthday!!!) - start back down
Tuesday 1: Reach Base Camp
Wednesday 2: Safari
Thursday 3: Safari
Friday 4: Safari
Saturday 5: Leave Safari - Late night flight to Dubai
Sunday 6: Arrive Dubai
Monday 7: Depart Dubai for JFK then SRQ

Please say a prayer for us!

--Jesse Biter

No comments:

Post a Comment