Saturday, May 19, 2012

Day 7 - Why are you Honking at Me?

Day 7 - Friday May 18th - Why are you Honking at Me?

Today we let the sun and sounds of outside (easily heard from our hotel) wake us up.  It was about 10 AM that we finally got out of bed and made our way downstairs for breakfast.  It was a fantastic morning and the breakfast (chicken curry sandwich) really hit the spot.  After breakfast we went back to the room and packed our bags for Seville (Say-Vill-Ah).  It was about 11:30 AM when we hopped in a taxi for the "10 minute" (took 25) ride to the Avis store.  After renting a car, we headed back to the hotel to load up our luggage and get on the road.  It was about 12:45 before we finally got going.

The goal was to drive from Granada to Seville but we decided to take the long route.  Instead of going 2 hours West / North West, we decided to add about 2 hours of driving and head south to the coast and drive along the coast before heading north to Seville.  I can honestly say it was worth every minute,,,, in fact,,, I would have done it again even if the drive was 4 hours longer.

The southern coast along Spain is amazing.  It reminded me a lot of California but with nice beaches and topless women.  We drove through a few towns but only stopped in one cute little town called Nerja.  We tried to compare each town we drove through to things we've seen on other travels.  We drove through some small towns that reminded us of beaches on Hawaii and on the Florida pan handle but Nerja was more like a New Jersey beach town.  There were a lot of hotels, some nicer than others,,,,, a decent board walk, cold water, people playing on the beach, people that don't speak English, etc.

After lunch we hopped back in the car and headed strait to Seville.  When we arrived I figured we would expedite the check-in process so I had Katie check-in while I retuned the car.  Google Maps is great but it's not perfect.  I left the hotel and the nice lady in my phone said "turn on (some Spanish street name neither she nor I could pronounce properly),,,, well I did,,, I followed her blindly as I've learned to do in the US.  Guess what,,, wrong way on a one way street.  Guess who was the dumb American lost in a big city,,,, this guy.  I quickly figured out why everyone was honking at me.

I got back on track and made my way across town to return the car.  I jumped in a taxi and, before too long, I was back at the hotel.  When I got to the room I was pleasantly surprised to find Katie happier than a smoker in Spain.  She was so excited about our room and I quickly learned why.  The room is amazing as is the entire hotel.  We made our way to the hotel bar to accept our "welcome" drinks.  After that we hit the town.

This town is amazing,,,, so far,,,,, by far,,, our favorite.  People were out and about much later than we could hang (and we lasted until about 2 AM).  The bars, the tapas, the people, etc --- all amazing (see the pics).  Before bed we went to the hotel bar and chatted with the bartender, a sweet 19 year old girl who spoke 5 languages.  Her main language is Spanish but her English is amazing.  We had a few glasses of wine during our free Spanish lesson.  Before long we headed up to our room and called it quits.

Tomorrow we get to explore this amazing town,,, I can't wait.

--J

Additional pics from the day before I finally got uploaded:
https://plus.google.com/photos/113169248147362226921/albums/5743533771220223105

Pics from Seville:
https://plus.google.com/photos/113169248147362226921/albums/5744418506085215281

No comments:

Post a Comment