Sunday, May 13, 2012

Katie's Day 1 - Honeymoon Part Dos


"This is really happening" I say to myself, we are really boarding the
flight to Barcelona! My dream vacation!  Not only have I always wanted
to go to Barcelona, I get to go with the love of my life AND he's all
mine for two weeks! Unbelievable! :)

We were about an hour from landing at BCN and I was like a kid in a
candy shop (or myself as a grown-up in a candy shop for that matter).
I had my bags neatly put back together, changed into my "day in
Barcelona" outfit, and touched up my make-up.  I was ready.

I knew this was a wonderful city as soon as we stepped foot outside --
and it hasn't stopped amazing me since.  First off, the weather is
absolutely amazing. Its like 75 with a breeze...beautiful! Spain in
May? Yes, please! We walked around all day (9am-2pm) neither hot nor
cold.  Anyway, Jesse is great at all the details so I'll let him stick
to that and I'll just give you my observation of the city...

1. Its pretty clean - not Chicago clean but not nearly New York City
dirty. Although it smells a bit like NYC, you know a little sewage
smell here a little college bar smell there. But your sense of sight
is so delighted its easy to dismiss the smells. That leads me to the
architecture, Wow.

2. Almost every structure is beautiful.  I have taken many pictures of
all the buildings.  I love all the balconies.  You can tell that way
back when someone(s) spent a lot of time on the development of these
buildings - and that was a good choice. Even the buildings tucked back
in the ally's are beautiful. In the streets there are gorgeous
fountains in the round-abouts. Of course Barcelona is famous for it's
Gaudi and Picasso buildings (and they are incredible!). We haven't
seen them all yet but they're on the to-see list.

3. They are so many dogs here!!! Which, if you recall, is very
different from our Asia trip. It's so great to see all the pretty dogs
having so much fun running (literally) around with their owners. And
interestingly they are hardly on a leash. (We have honestly only seen
one dog on a leash) Even the people that are jogging with their dogs
don't have them on a leash. Amazingly the dogs, small and large, just
follow their owners - unleashed.  Apparently there is no leash law
around here but doesn't seem they need it. And that makes my heart
happy.

4. Lastly, (for now) this doesn't seem to be a real service industry
country. Our first meal here the waiter acted as if he could have
cared less if we ate there or not. I guess since they don't make their
living off of tips they don't go out of their way to be polite or
expedient. Oh well, at least the food has been outstanding.

I'd also like to add that I have had SO much fun speaking Spanish!!
Jovanna, you would be proud! We learned yesterday that in Barcelona
they actually speak Catalonian which is a combination of Spanish,
Italian, and French. But it all sounds the same to us.

Thanks for tuning into our blog again and say a prayer for us for safe travels!

Salud!

No comments:

Post a Comment