Monday, June 21, 2010

How Lucky Are You

Today we went to the War Museum in Cambodia. Did you know there was ever a war in Cambodia? I sure didn't... And it was practically in my life time. 1974-1979. Til '79??? Are you serious? In this civil war, over 2 million Cambodians were killed.

This young man took us around the small outdoor property that housed Chinese, Russian, and Cambodian artifacts. Such as a helicopter, airplane, tanker, cannon, and many many guns, rocket launchers, etc.. The collection was impressive for how small the place was.

Jesse enjoyed playing with the different guns and learning about their origin. I happily played photographer. The young man that took us around was very knowledgeable. He was wearing a shirt that on the front said "same same" and the back said "but different." I think that might be the Cambodian slogan...not sure. I meant to ask but I forgot.

One station was designated to land-mines. Wow. How scary! He showed us all the different types of land-mines used in Cambodia. Some would cut off one leg, or both legs, but most would just kill you and injure or fatal injure anyone around you. There were so many different types it was very interesting.

Then he showed us his first hand experience with land-mines. Missing 3 fingers on one hand, and a scar on his left eye. From what we could see. He explained that when he was 7 he picked up something he thought was a piece of plastic or an artifact...it exploded and he lost his fingers. It's amazing that's all he lost. He showed us the land-mine he grabbed. He went on to show us his shoulder and hip which were clearly badly injured. When he was 10 he and a friend were playing in the jungle near his house (north Cambodia on the boarder of Thailand) when his friend stepped on a land-mine. He lost his friend that day and the shrapnel hit him in those two places from 60 feet back. He was emotional talking about it. Said he's lost 2 friends to land mines. He couldn't look at a stand with pictures of land-mine victims because his friend was in one of the pictures. He said, "please know how lucky you are." I was holding back my tears, I couldn't even speak enough to say "I know."

He hopes to have the shrapnel removed someday. It is uncomfortable for him.

We finished the museum and left. I gave him and hug and wished him the best. I still get a little teary eyed thinking about what this 32 year old has been through in his life. (He also lost his parents when he was four, lived with his uncle.) Sounds like a sob story but I assure you his sincerity couldn't have been made up. My heart goes out to him.

It is one more reminder how lucky I am, how lucky WE are to live in such a safe country. Proud to be an American. Thank you to all the Soldiers out there, I can't imagine going through everything you have.

God Bless Us All.

Until next time....

xoxo,

Katie

No comments:

Post a Comment